CuthbertWhite Sustainability Strategy
In 2015, The Paris Agreement cemented a worldwide goal to limit global warming to a preferred maximum of 1.5 degrees Celsius. The COP26 summit, which took place in Glasgow in November 2021, aimed to accelerate this action and culminated in the Glasgow Climate Pact. This global agreement focuses on four main areas:
- Mitigation by reducing emissions
- Adaptation to help those already impacted by climate change
- Finance to enable countries to deliver on their climate goals
- Collaboration and working together to maximise action
Ultimately, there is now a global commitment to halve greenhouse gas emissions by 2030 and be Net Carbon Zero by 2050, 2045 in Scotland.
Business driven economic activity is responsible for approximately 40% of UK carbon dioxide emissions and it is imperative that businesses of all sizes pledge to reduce their carbon emissions in line with new global policies.
CuthbertWhite recognises that climate change poses a threat to the economy, nature and society-at-large, and we are committed to acting immediately in order to:
- Halve our greenhouse gas emissions before 2030
- Achieve net zero emissions before 2045
- Disclose our progress on a yearly basis
By signing the SME Climate Commitment, we are proud to be recognised by the United Nations Race to Zero campaign, and join governments, businesses, cities, regions, and universities around the world with the same mission.
As a small business, we have already made significant strides in reducing our greenhouse gas emissions by only using electricity from renewable sources. We are also pledging to take the following steps in order to reach our goal of Net Carbon Zero as quickly as possible:
- Reducing landfill waste
- Recycling and using recyclable/renewable products where possible
- Monitoring water usage
- Reducing paper printing practices
- Switching to LED light sources
- Reducing staff commuting emissions
- Using public transport for business related travel whenever possible
As a last and final resort, we are also investigating natural carbon offsetting possibilities, such as native tree planting.
It is the policy of CuthbertWhite Limited to report publicly on its environmental objectives and performances at regular intervals.
Director, CuthbertWhite Limited